Monday 21 January 2013

Life so far. Hannah Palmer's story.

"I now want the younger people to have the opportunity to have the chances that I have been given by Little Hearts Matter and everyone who has supported me."
Hi, My name is Hannah Palmer and I'm 17 years old. My parents were told that I had a major heart defect only six hours after I was born. They were told that I only had half a functioning heart (and a few other long words) and also that I would have to have surgery in the future. I have had two major heart operations, one when I was just 15 months and one at age nine. I've also have had several catheterisations. I may need to have other operations in the future and there is a possibility i might need to have a transplant in the far future.

Growing up with a heart condition has been quite challenging especially throughout school. My P.E lessons were always hard because the teachers didn't understand my condition and it was really hard work trying to explain to them that I couldn't do as much as the other kids and that I couldn't go out in the cold in shorts and t-shirt. Eventually, I decided that dropping it altogether was the best option. Another thing that is hard in school with this condition is that at certain times i find it hard to concentrate if I'm tired , stressed or if I'm having a harder day than usual. Exam times are particularly hard because there is a lot of pressure from teachers which causes more stress than we particularly need.

Even though my school life has been a challenge at certain times, I threw myself into activities that I could do. I have starred in several of my school's shows and I am a part of the school's orchestra and choir. Outside of school I attend a theatre school, and at the moment I am playing the lead. I have also found a new vocation... public speaking, having given a speech in the House of Commons to make politicians more aware of congenital heart disease and its effects on behalf of LHM and its members.

Speaking of Little Hearts, I don't think that I would be who I am today if I hadn't met the wonderful people like Suzie and Jon, who make the charity work. The charity has helped me to meet new people with conditions like mine through various events and it has been amazing to be able to talk to people who understand what I am going through. It's also nice to hear about other people's conditions and their issues and it's great to know that we can all give each other valuable advice. Having the chance to talk to people who understand is an amazing asset. It has helped me greatly in dealing with my problems and I want younger members of the charity to be able to have that choice.

An amazing way for the younger members to voice their problems is to talk to a member of the Little Hearts Matter Youth Council. The Youth Council started in 2009, and was put in place to make sure that the children of LHM had a say in what we want the charity to do. The Youth Council have already made a video voicing their problems and how they have dealt with them to help future members that is available to all members. One thing we hope to achieve is to make the young members more aware of the new and improved Little Hearts Matter Facebook page and for them to talk to other kids with heart conditions on there about experiences or just for a friendly chat.

Another thing that the charity would like to do is to arrange a weekend away for the 14+ (without parents) where we could talk about things such as DLA, money management, cooking and transition to adult hospital. Talking about this kind of stuff away from parents - with other teenagers in the same situation - is important because it allows us to have independence which is important for us to be able to grow up and to understand more about living in the 'adult world'. Having independence for me has been an amazing experience. Due to the fact I receive higher rate disability living allowance, I was able to begin driving at 16 and I passed my test 2 weeks after my 17th birthday. I also was able to apply for a car through Motability which has been a major help as I am now as independent as I can be. Having these facilities available is a wonderful step towards this independence even though they are at risk of being removed in the new Health and Social Bill going through parliament.

Having a major heart condition hasn't had too much of an effect on my daily life. In some ways it has made me have a better outlook on life. I now want the younger people to have the opportunity to have the chances that I have been given by Little Hearts Matter and everyone who has supported me. I want to make a difference to their futures.

Thank You :)


Hannah Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share what you thought about this article, including any experience that you had...