Wednesday 6 February 2013

Learning to drive with Motability

Hannah Palmer talks about learning to drive and the independence that it gives her. She also reveals some tips about DLA and motability, which can help you get driving quickly.

Finally! After nearly a year of driving lessons, theory tests and practical tests I, Hannah Palmer, can DRIVE!! And I've only been 17 for a month!

This was only possible through the help of Motability, a company that allows teenagers who are on the higher rate mobility component of the Disabilty Living Allowance to have driving lessons from BSM at age 16.

I first heard about the grants that Motability offer at the Little Hearts Matter Open Day last year from BSM. After the conference, I contacted Motability about the grants that they offered and they approved my application, which included 40 hours of driving lessons with BSM.

All I had to pay for was my provisional licence, and my practical and theory tests, which was amazing (even though I had to do 2 theory tests) and a few extra driving lessons to make sure I was up to standard.
“It’s a lot easier for my parents now. No more calls bugging them for lifts at all hours.”
So here I am; 8 months, £176 and a driving licence later, I've got a very nice Ford Fiesta through Motability that I drive everywhere... literally everywhere! Now I can drive, I feel a lot more independent. I can do a lot more, which is important to me because, being 17, I want to be able to go out when I want and do what I want to do. It’s a lot easier for my parents as well, as they don't get calls at all hours of the night saying 'Can you pick me up now?' or ' What time can I stay out till?'. In fact, I now get calls asking me to take them everywhere!! And my friends love me even more!

I love being more independent because I feel more adult and it gives me more freedom. I would highly recommend anyone coming up to the age of 16 who is on the Higher mobility rate of the DLA to contact Motability and complete your own Road to Independence!

Hannah's parents are very proud of her. Her Dad said:

"When we first found out Hannah had a single ventricle heart we didn't dare think past the next few months - it's hard to believe that 17 years later Hannah has passed such an important milestone. Thanks to Little Hearts Matter, Hannah not only found out about Motability - she has the confidence to face life head on! Thank you Little Hearts Matter!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share what you thought about this article, including any experience that you had...